Friday, May 14, 2010

The Finale!

Well, the year's over! We still managed to have a great discussion today, despite it being the last day! I especially enjoyed the conversation I had when discussing my philosophy during the finals meeting because it gave me another chance to explore the ideals that I've established throughout the semester.

One core value that I spoke about was the belief that if you hold students to a higher standard, then they are more likely to reach that level of success. What I didn't necessarily think of, however, was how to get students to reach a higher level of success without giving additional work or causing students to feel overwhelmed by the subject. I was able to discuss various ideas during the meeting and further analyze how this situation would apply to my everyday teaching. One question brought to my attention was how you can have a high level of expectation for students without giving them busy work. We were able to discuss methods of keeping students ineterested and eager to learn so that busy work won't be required and students will want to learn more about whatever subject and reach the goals that you set for them.

No comments: