Thursday, May 13, 2010

Current Events

This past week in class, we began discussing ideas that could be taught to students. During this activity, our group started to discuss the idea of using the current oil spill in classrooms as a teaching subject. Each teacher in different core subject classrooms could spend time discussing many different sides of the argument and relate it to all of the subjects for the students.

This conversation evolved into the observation that a current events topic could be incorporated into all classes every semester. In my personal experience, the thing that I lacked in my education as a child was exposure and knowledge of current events. Typically, I was a very good student and studied/learned everything that needed to be known in class, but I didn't waste my time learning about the things happening in the world at that time because I didn't believe it was necessary since it was not required of me as a student. Given the chance to create a curriculum for a general classroom for younger students, I would allot several days in each semester to which a current events topic could be discussed whenever it presented itself and would try to incorporate the event into multiple subjects.

No comments: