Sunday, November 23, 2008

Parents

It was interesting to hear the parents' perspective on teaching. The strongest point that they seemed to emphasize was that parents aren't our enemies and they're not trying to scare or intimidate us - we're a team! The point of school is to help kids learn. Both parents and teachers want the same outcome for their students/kids, so why should teachers be afraid of parents?

Another point that one parent brought up was that at parent-teacher conferences, they want to hear about some good things that their child does. I learned that at these conferences, you should always begin by telling the parents something good that their child does. It's incredibly disappointing if they constantly hear that their child is always doing poorly in school.

After this interview with the parents, I started thinking about the diverse students that I might have to work with in the future. I always picture my future students as replicas of my former classmates, but I can't depend on that idea for my future students. Each class I get will have unique people with different problems or disabilities that I will need to learn about and learn how to teach around such obstacles. I think that this is one of the areas that I will need the most work when I begin teaching.

Amy Streck

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I also found the parents' point about saying something good about their kids in conferences to be helpful. As far as being in a classroom with a diversity of kids, yeah, I wouldn't count on it being like your High School, but don't worry about handeling it. You'll do fine with a little bit of experience. (I'm writing that as if I have experience or something, ha!) Good entry!